Zelensky’s top ally reveals he’s ‘going to the front’ after quitting as corruption scandal plunges Kyiv into crisis

VOLODYMYR Zelensky’s top ally has announced he will head to the frontlines – just hours after storming out of the Ukrainian government.

Andriy Yermak quit as chief of staff under Zelensky on Friday amid an anti-corruption probe and a shock dawn raid on his house.

Andriy Yermak quit his job under Volodymyr Zelensky on Friday and is now claiming to be headed to the frontlinesCredit: Reuters
People gather near burning cars damaged during a Russian missile and drone attack on Kyiv overnightCredit: Reuters

Yermak – a key player in peace talks in recent months – has now addressed his resignation and spoke on what he plans to do next in a cryptic message.

He claimed to the New York Post he will be headed straight to the frontlines in Ukraine’s continued conflict with Russia.

A text message to the US outlet late on Friday read: “I’m going to the front and am prepared for any reprisals.

“I am an honest and decent person.”

RAINING FIRE

Horror moment Russian dragon drone pours FIRE on Ukraine’s ‘tunnels of life’

Yermak then ominously said he apologises if he stops responding to any calls or messages.

The former close friend to President Zelensky added: “I served Ukraine and was in Kyiv on February 24, 2024 [the day Russia launched full-scale war].

“Maybe we’ll see each other again. Glory to Ukraine.”

In follow-up messages, Yermak appeared to hit back at critics who have accused him of being caught up in a corruption scandal which has rocked Kyiv.

The country has been hit by revelations of deep-seated corruption around accusations that top officials have skimmed around £75million off the country’s energy sector at a time of great turmoil.

A 15-month investigation was launched and has involved thousands of hours of wiretapping and even the discovery of a golden toilet inside the suspected mastermind’s home.

Yermak has never been officially named as a suspect in the investigation and denies any involvement in a plot.

But on Friday two national watchdogs confirmed Yermak was a target as they launched a raid on his home.

Yermak said: “I’ve been desecrated, and my dignity hasn’t been protected.

“I’m disgusted by the filth directed at me, and even more disgusted by the lack of support from those who know the truth.”

His passionate rebuttal of the claims ended with him stating: “Therefore, I don’t want to create problems for Zelensky; I’m going to the front.”

Yermak had been Ukraine’s lead negotiator in peace talks with Russia and the United States since the start of the year.

He was also a trusted confidante of Zelensky and has sat at the heart of Zelensky’s inner circle for years.

Zelensky reacted to the resignation by saying: “I am grateful to Andriy for consistently presenting Ukraine’s position at the negotiating table exactly as it ought to be presented.

Yermak ominously said he apologises if he stops responding to any calls or messagesCredit: Reuters
Since Russia’s full-scale invasion, Yermak had accompanied Zelensky on every foreign trip, cementing a reputation as the president’s right-hand manCredit: Reuters

“His stance has always been staunchly patriotic.”

The pair met over 15 years ago when Yermak was a lawyer and Zelensky was a famous Ukrainian comedian and TV star.

As Zelensky rose to power in Kyiv, he made Yermak his head of foreign affairs before promoting him to chief of staff in February 2020.

Since Russia’s full-scale invasion, Yermak has accompanied Zelensky on every foreign trip, cementing a reputation as the president’s right-hand man.

Domestically, he’s described as Zelensky’s gatekeeper, and he is widely believed to pull the strings with all top government appointees, including the prime ministers and ministers.

The wartime leader says he is now prepping a shake-up of his presidential office after the bombshell announcement, calling it a “full reboot”.

What is the Kyiv corruption scandal?

ANDRIY Yermak’s shock resignation follows weeks of corruption rumours that have rocked the country.

The probe has lasted 15 months, is known as Operation Midas, and involved 1,000 hours of wiretapping and resulted in the seizure of bags of cash.

The scandal involves Energoatom, Ukraine’s state nuclear-power company, and a massive bribery scheme.

Contractors allegedly had to pay 10–15 per cent kickbacks to win or keep supply contracts.

Anti-corruption investigators say about £75 million was illegally siphoned off.

Who’s implicated?

Several senior officials – including energy and justice ministers – have quit amid the probe.

The alleged ringleader, Tymur Mindich, is a businessman with close ties to the government, and several people have been formally charged with bribery, abuse of office, and money laundering

Why it matters

The corruption hit a strategic, wartime-critical sector – nuclear energy, which powers much of Ukraine.

It’s also a reputational crisis for Zelensky as he attempts to broker a Trump-backed peace deal with Russia and join the EU.

It comes as more details around the corruption scandal have emerged in recent weeks.

Investigators believe Tymur Mindich – once a business partner of Zelensky – is the mastermind behind the alleged scheme.

National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NABU) officials even found a golden toilet bowl in Mindich’s apartment last week.

He’s since fled abroad and will likely be tried in absentia. Two more government chiefs have already quit.

Yermak’s circle has been scorched before: ex-deputies Oleh Tatarov and Rostyslav Shurma resigned last year over rumours of financial wrongdoing.

Another, Andrii Smyrnov, was investigated over bribes but remains in office.

The scandal piles more pain onto Zelensky as he seeks weapons and financial backing from Western allies, while the EU demands tougher action on corruption.

Earlier this month, Zelensky faced a near-revolt inside his own party after investigators dropped bombshell new details from the energy probe.

Yermak wasn’t named in the scandal, but furious MPs said he should still carry the blame to restore public trust.

Some even threatened a party split unless Zelensky fired him, but the president refused to budge.

As Yermak appears ready to go to the frontlines, Ukrainian civilians are facing a continued assault at the hands of Russia.

Overnight. Kyiv was hit by a deadly drone barrage which has left at least two dead and dozens wounded.

Ukraine’s energy ministry more than 600,000 people were left without power after the Russian attack on the power grid which hit facilities in Kyiv and five other regions. 

Emergency services personnel work at an apartment building damaged during a Russian missile and drone attack on KyivCredit: Reuters

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.