Yorkshire Water hosepipe ban is STILL in place even though it is November – as Thames Water lift theirs after four long months

Yorkshire Water’s hosepipe ban is still in place despite it being the middle of Autumn – as Thames Water finally lifted theirs today after four long months.

Since July 11, over five million people in Yorkshire have been banned from using their hosepipes for things like watering their garden, washing their vehicles and cleaning outdoor surfaces and windows.

The ban was introduced following Britain’s driest spring on record to allow reservoirs to recover and so that the water firm could apply for for drought permits.

A drought permit is a last resort legal mechanism that lets water companies temporarily take more water from the environment or alter the specific rules and requirements for legally taking water during periods of exceptional water shortage.

Yorkshire Water has today confirmed it is taking steps to remove its drought permits which would allow it to lift the hosepipe restrictions ‘earlier than initially thought’, following a tenth week of increases to reservoir levels.

Dave Kaye, director of water and wastewater services, said: ‘We’re now confident that we’re moving into a healthy position across our reservoirs, rivers, and groundwater water sources, after seeing further rainfall over the last seven days, and another significant jump in our reservoir levels. 

‘Restrictions are still in place for the time being, but we are working to lift them as soon as possible, hopefully within the next few weeks.

‘We’re now working with the Environment Agency (EA) to reduce the measures we’d put in place to manage our water resources differently during the drought – a step we have to take before restrictions can be lifted.

‘This can take a number of weeks, but we will not keep the restrictions in place any longer than is necessary.’

Wesseden Head Reservoir near Huddersfield sitting at just 26 per cent full in June - just before Yorkshire Water implemented its hosepipe ban

Wesseden Head Reservoir near Huddersfield sitting at just 26 per cent full in June – just before Yorkshire Water implemented its hosepipe ban

Yorkshire Water said continuous rainfall over the past week has seen reservoir levels rise from 80.5 per cent to 84.6 per cent.

Heavy rain brought to many areas of the UK by Storm Claudia earlier this month saw a record-breaking increase to levels of 15 per cent, it added.

It comes as Thames Water today lifted its hosepipe ban for homes served by the firm in parts of Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Berkshire which came into force on July 22.

As of 7am today, people living in postcodes beginning with OX, GL, SN, RG4, RG8 and RG9 are allowed to use their hosepipes again.

Recent above average rainfall in November, September and October has helped restore groundwater levels in the region. 

Farmoor Reservoir is now at 90 per cent storage, which is average for the time of year. 

Nevil Muncaster, Strategic Water Resources Director at Thames Water, said: ‘We would like to say a big thank you to our customers for their support in helping to protect water supplies over the past few months.

‘The rain over the last few weeks has helped restore groundwater levels in the region, which were still recovering after a record-breaking summer, and allows us to now lift usage restrictions. 

‘While groundwater levels feeding the River Thames, which is the source of water for Farmoor reservoir, have recovered we will continue to monitor rainfall and groundwater levels over the coming months to make sure we are still in a good position for 2026.

‘We’re encouraging all our customers to keep using water wisely over the winter months so water resources in our region continue to recharge ready for spring and summer next year.’

Thames Water activated a hosepipe ban on July 22 for customers in the blue shaded areas, but it was lifted as of today

Thames Water activated a hosepipe ban on July 22 for customers in the blue shaded areas, but it was lifted as of today

Pictured: Women sheltering themselves from the rain in Leeds brought over by Storm Claudia earlier this month

Pictured: Women sheltering themselves from the rain in Leeds brought over by Storm Claudia earlier this month

Southern Water’s hosepipe, which came in to place on July 21 for most of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, was lifted on October 31.

The firm made plans to apply for a drought order to take extra supplies from the River Test, but sufficient rain in September saw them abandon the process.

Southern Water thanked customers for helping to save millions of litres of water every day, protecting the Test and other chalk streams.

Director of water Tim McMahon said: ‘We’re incredibly grateful to our customers for their support and understanding during this challenging time.

‘This is a great example of how working together can make a real difference to our environment.’

The company said rainfall in September and October had alleviated the emergency, together with a programme of leak repairs.

It said future developments would make supplies more resilient, including a planned new reservoir at Havant Thicket, water recycling schemes and importing water from other regions.

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.