
A WOMAN, 22, has been killed in a hit-and-run as cops launch an urgent appeal.
Police were called to a stretch of the A167, in Durham, at just before 2am this morning after reports a pedestrian had been struck.
The North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) rushed the woman, who was hit on Neville’s Cross, to hospital with serious head and chest injuries.
The victim was sadly pronounced dead a short while later.
Durham Constabulary are now hunting the driver, who fled the scene.
A police helicopter was spotted circling surrounding areas into the early hours of the morning.
Olivia, 22, a Durham University student living near the scene, told the Echo: “I saw the police cars and ambulance but had no idea what was going on.
“Me and my housemate were up watching to try and see what was happening but we couldn’t understand why there were so many police about.”
Another resident added: “I heard a lot of noise up the road and saw a few police cars. I didn’t know what it was but I assumed there had been a crash because that kind of thing happens a lot at this junction.
“There was one a few weeks ago so it doesn’t surprise me.”
One local said: “I’d just gone to sleep and it woke me back up. I heard a load of sirens outside so I went out to see what was going on.
“There was a lot of cars in the junction; police, ambulance, the lot.”
A spokesperson for Durham Constabulary said in a statement: “Shortly before 2.00am, emergency services were called to Neville’s Cross on the A167 in Durham following reports of a collision between a woman and a car.
“The 22-year-old woman was taken to the RVI, in Newcastle, but sadly died a short time later. Her family have been notified and are being supported by specialist officers.
“The car involved in the collision, which is believed to be a silver VW Golf GTi Clubsport, failed to stop at the scene.
“An investigation has been launched and officers are appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or has dashcam or doorbell footage who has not yet spoke to them to get in touch.”
A spokesperson for NEAS added: “We were called at 1.54am this morning for a pedestrian who had been involved in a collision with a car at the junction of Newcastle Road and Darlington Road in Neville’s Cross, Durham.
“We dispatched two paramedic ambulance crews, a specialist paramedic, a doctor and a duty officer to the scene. They treated one patient with injuries to her head and chest before taking her to the RVI in Newcastle.”
Anyone who has any information that could assist with the investigation has been asked to call Durham Constabulary on 101, quoting incident number 41 of October 26.

More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online
Thesun.co.uk is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.











