Veteran, 91, killed by e-bike crashing into him on pavement while putting bins out as cyclist pleads guilty

An image collage containing 1 images, Image 1 shows James Blackwood smiling at the camera

A VETERAN was tragically killed after an e-bike rider smashed into him whilst he was putting out his bins.

The family of the 91-year-old were “relieved” that the cyclist admitted to killing their great-grandfather after he struck him down when riding on the pavement.

The cyclist was driving down the pavement in a residential area when he killed Mr BlackwoodCredit: Not known, clear with picture desk
The 91-year-old veteran was killed when a e-bike crashed into him outside his home

Retired Royal Engineer, James Blackwood was hit by Clifford Cage, 50, on a residential road in Rochester, Kent, in July 2023.

The great-grandfather of seven was raced to hospital where he remained until he died from internal injuries months later on October 13.

Maidstone Magistrates Court previously heard how the pensioner was taking out his bins at 7.20am when the fatal crash happened.

Clifford Cage had denied the manslaughter charge, but he changed his plea on Tuesday, admitting to one count of manslaughter and to causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving.

TRAFFIC MAYHEM

Major motorway grinds to halt as multi-vehicle crash sparks rush hour chaos


EVIL LIE

Mum who said her kid was ill to steal from tragic tot’s charity also faked wedding

Outside the court, Mr Blackwood’s daughter Christine White said the change in plea would finally allow her family to move on.

“We are extremely relieved that Cliff has decided to plead guilty and saved out family another year of distress,” she told The Telegraph.

“Personally, I was dreading having to relive the morning of the accident from the witness box. I hope this case illustrates the need for those cyclists who scant regard for the rules of the road to think again.

“I’m very much hoping that everything will be concluded by Christmas, and our family can begin the healing process.

“Instead of having to keep reliving how dad died, we can finally move on and remember him for the lovely man he was. A cherished husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather.”

Gemma White, prosecuting, told the court the plea was acceptable and they would not be seeking a trial for the second count.

The second charge of causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving was directed to lie on file. Therefore, the trial did not proceed despite the evidence because Cage admitted to a more serious count.

Danny More KC, for Cage said: “He is really a man of previous good character, save for some irrelevant stuff in ’96, etcetera.”

Judge Philip St John-Stevens ordered a psychiatric report for Cage ahead of his sentencing on January 12 2026.

The 50-year-old has been released on bail until his next court appearance.

He was previously due to face trial in September next year, but the court previously heard this could be postponed until August 2028.

The possible delay was a source of “disappointment and frustration” for Mr Blackwood’s heartbroken family, they told the court in July.

Following the tragedy two years ago, Mr Blackwood’s family paid an emotional tribute to their great-grandfather, described as a “great handyman” with a “brilliant sense of humour”.

Christine said: “My parents lived independently, and dad was an active and energetic person who still drove and went shopping a couple of times a week.

“He ran the household, as well as assisting Mum in the kitchen and garden. He used to love DIY, painting garden pots and animals, as well as maintaining his beloved fishpond.

“He was a healthy and active 91-year-old, and I fully expected him to reach 100 – a real old-fashioned gentleman.”

FOOTBALLER GONE

Football League star tragically dies aged just 42 after cancer battle


CHA-CHA-CHAOS

Strictly’s Amber Davies breaks silence after pro Nikita pictured kissing her

Whilst in the Army, Mr Blackwood was stationed in West Germany, Malaya, Scotland and Northern Ireland, before he retired aged 40 in 1972.

Following a career in the military, he worked at a power station on the Isle of Grain in Kent and in Saudi Arabia before retiring to Rochester in 1985.

The grieving family said the confession will finally allow them to start moving on

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.