THE Ethiopian migrant who was wrongly released from prison has been deported from the UK with no right to return.
Hadush Kebatu was jailed in September for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old but was released just weeks into his sentence.
The 41-year-old asylum seeker was let out of HMP CHelmsford on Friday morning by mistake, sparking a two-day manhunt resulting in his eventual recapture on Sunday.
Kebatu was supposed to be sent to an immigration detention centre but instead was let free to roam the streets.
He was released on the expectation he would be picked up by immigration enforcement for deportation and was due on a flight “within days.”
Instead, he was filmed by a member of the public sauntering down Chelmsford High Street – still wearing his prison issue tracksuit.
He is among the more than 5,100 foreign criminals who have been removed from the country under the Labour Government.
The migrant had been living at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, with his crimes sparking protests across the country.
Following his release Kebatu travelled to London where he was arrested on Sunday morning.
He was then removed from the country on a flight to Ethiopia on Tuesday night and arrived this morning.
The Home Secretary, Shabana Mahmood, said: “Last week’s blunder should never have happened – and I share the public’s anger that it did.
“I would like to thank the police for rapidly bringing Mr Kebatu into custody and the public for their vigilance.
“I have pulled every lever to deport Mr Kebatu and remove him off British soil.
“I am pleased to confirm this vile child sex offender has been deported. Our streets are safer because of it.
“If you come to this country and commit crimes, we will remove you.”
Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy said: “Kebatu has been returned to Ethiopia where he belongs. I am grateful to Home Office colleagues for acting swiftly to secure his deportation.
“I have been clear from the outset that a mistake of this nature is unacceptable, and we must get to the bottom of what happened.
“I have established an independent investigation chaired by Dame Lynne Owens into last Friday’s events to get the public the answers they rightly deserve, and we have introduced the strictest checks ever seen in our prison system to stop similar unacceptable errors in future.”











