Nearly 500 migrants a DAY sign up for benefits

NEARLY 500 migrants a day are signing up for benefits as claims by foreign nationals hit a record 1.3million.

Last month, a blistering 472 migrants a day becan claiming Universal Credit – showing an increase of 6.7 per cent in a year.

A Jobcentre Plus building with "Opening up work" and "Universal Credit" signs on the door.
More than 1.3million migrants are claiming benefits

It comes as Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood will announce new laws today making migrants’ right to settle in the UK dependent on not claiming benefits, who warned illegal migration was “tearing our country apart”.

Ms Mahmood is also set to announce that refugee status will become temporary, and those whose countries become safe will be immediately made to go home.

Currently, refugees can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after five years, allowing them access to benefits and public funds, as well as a path to citizenship.

The 20-year qualifying period with apply to those who arrive in the UK illegally, including via small boats and lorries, or those who overstay their visas.

While a 10-year pathway will also be introduced for people who arrive legally.

A Government spokesman said: “The number of Universal Credit claimants across all categories – including British nationals – has been increasing as we have invited tens of thousands of people each month to move from legacy benefits onto the modernised system.

“Overall, the proportion of claimants in this country who are foreign nationals has fallen since October 2024.”

The Home Secretary’s statement today will follow her clampdown on illegal migrants on Monday.

Entire migrant families will be deported under Labour’s borders crackdown – but taxpayers are on the hook for bigger cash bungs to make them leave voluntarily.

Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood yesterday vowed to end the “perverse incentive” of parents packing kids onto small boats to bolster their chances of staying in Britain.

Under the biggest asylum overhaul since the Second World War, families with children will be targeted for removal for the first time. 

It is currently almost impossible to deport Channel migrants with kids even if their asylum request has been rejected. 

The Home Office says asylum seekers are able to “exploit the fact that they have children and put down roots in order to thwart removal”.

Removing families is expected to affect hundreds of households, including around 700 Albanian families who have remained in Britain despite having their claims rejected.

A woman with dark hair wearing a white top, a dark skirt, a teal blazer, and leopard print shoes walks on a sidewalk covered with autumn leaves.
Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood says the country has become more ‘divided’

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.