Manhunt is launched for Algerian prisoner, 24, released by mistake from Wandsworth prison ‘who has previously committed sex offences’

A manhunt has been launched for an Algerian prisoner who was released by mistake from Wandsworth prison.

The convict, 24, is understood to have been serving time for trespass with an intent to steal but has previously committed sexual offences. 

The error at the prison in south London happened on October 29, just five days after migrant sex attacker Hadush Kebatu was mistakenly free from HMP Chelmsford. 

It also came just two days after Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy vowed to increase checks on prisoners being released. 

It is unclear why the police have only now been informed that the Algerian prisoner is at large after being mistakenly released.   

The Metropolitan Police told Sky News: ‘Shortly after 1pm on Tuesday 4 November, the Met was informed by the Prison Service that a prisoner had been released in error from HMP Wandsworth on Wednesday 29 October.

‘The prisoner is a 24-year-old Algerian man.

‘Officers are carrying out urgent enquiries in an effort to locate him and return him to custody.’

A manhunt has been launched for an Algerian prisoner who was released by mistake from Wandsworth prison (file photo)

A manhunt has been launched for an Algerian prisoner who was released by mistake from Wandsworth prison (file photo) 

David Lammy dodged questions today as he was repeatedly asked by shadow defence secretary James Cartlidge whether any more asylum-seeking offenders had been wrongly released from prison since Hadush Kebatu.

Mr Cartlidge said: ‘People in Epping and right across the country want to know the answer. I’m going to ask him again. 

‘He’s the Justice Secretary, can he reassure the House that since Kebatu was released, no other asylum seeking offender has been accidentally let out of prison?’

Deputy Prime Minister Mr Lammy said: ‘I spent 14 years in opposition and I did a hell of a lot better than he’s just done.

‘I have answered the question. Under their watch, prisons were in a mess. Suicides went up. Prison officer cut – 20,000 neighbourhood police lost.

‘We’ve deported more in the last year than they deported in the last five years. I’m not going to take any lecture from the honourable gentleman.’

Addressing Mr Lammy, Mr Cartlidge said: ‘He’s the Justice Secretary. He’s responsible for the justice system. He needs to take responsibility.

‘And I’m going to repeat it once more for the avoidance of doubt, because he did not answer it twice.

‘Can he reassure the House that since Kebatu was released, no other asylum-seeking offender has been accidentally let out of prison?’

Mr Lammy, who stood in for Sir Keir Starmer, responded: ‘Get a grip, man, I know I’m the Justice Secretary, that’s why I’m at the despatch box.’

‘We know that there have been spikes since 2021 under his watch. When did he come to this House and apologise?’

This is a breaking news story – more to follow  

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.