Kids’ park BULLDOZED by council after just 3 complaints from killjoys who moaned youngsters were playing too loud

A construction worker next to a dump truck in Chapel-en-le-Frith Memorial Park, where a multi-use games area (MUGA) is being demolished.
FILE PICTURE – Diggers break up the multi-use games area (MUGA) in Chapel-en-le-Frith Memorial Park, Derbyshire, that was built in 2010 after a community fundraiser. October 6, 2025. // Residents who complained about “noisy” football games at a children’s play park in a village have been awarded £130,000 after successfully suing a parish council. A small group of locals took legal action against Chapel-en-le-Frith Parish Council after taking exception to the noise coming from the sports pitch caused by ball games. But others were left fuming after council workers decided to bulldoze the play area in the picturesque village following just three complaints from nearby homeowners. Chapel-en-le-Frith Parish Council has now been fined £100 and ordered to pay £130,000 to two residents following a hearing at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (13/11). The authority had previously been ordered by the High Court to reduce the noise coming from the facility back in 2022. But they were found guilty of breaching the abatement order in July and decided to tear down the games area and skate park last month, sparking anger from locals. Photo released 16/11/2025Credit: SWNS

OUTRAGED villagers have slammed a group of “moaning killjoys” after a kids’ park was bulldozed over just three noise complaints.

Two residents in the small Derbyshire town have now been awarded £130,000 after they sued the parish council over their noise complaints.

The play area was used for ball games before it was torn down following noise complaintsCredit: SWNS
The parish council made the ‘difficult decision’ to demolish the games area this summerCredit: SWNS

The ruling at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court last week marked the end of a five-year legal battle between the two noise-sensitive men and Chapel-en-le-Frith Parish Council.

Locals have slammed the decision as “a joke”, and said they were disappointed it has resulted in the multi-use games area (MUGA) in War Memorial Park being torn down.

Stuart Barber, 78, said: “I think it’s a bit childish what they’ve done. It should have been kept, a lot of people used it.

“Such a small group of people have managed to change something so petty, it’s a joke.”

OUT OF LINE

Council repaint school road markings before locals spot ridiculous blunder


SCHOOL HORROR

Primary school locked down after man spotted ‘armed with rifle’ nearby

Residents reported they were outraged by the petty complaints, as that area of the park was valuable for local children and families.

Sarah, 51, said: “I used to bring my son here when he was a toddler. He’s 13 now and he would have used it during the winter. Loads of kids used it.

“It was a shock to see the bulldozers tearing it up. It’s sad really because it’s yet another place where kids can’t go.

“You’re talking about getting kids into sport and it’s taking it away.”

The games area was opened in 2010, following a community fundraising campaign.

Soon after, Dr Merren Jones, Stephen Covey-Crump and David Howe first lodged their complaints with the council, citing the noise of “ball strikes, kicks and bounces” hitting the metal slides.

The three men initially took the council to court in 2021, claiming the games area breached planning guidance as it was located just metres from the nearest house.

While the first judge denied their claim, arguing the complainants were “hypersensitive to noise”, this was later overturned on appeal by a High Court judge in November 2022.

The parish council was given an abatement order and a deadline of four months to resolve the noise problems, either by closing the games area, or moving it further away from homes.

After failing to complete either of these measures, the council were found guilty of breaching the abatement order and decided to tear down the games area and skate park last month.

Residents have been “gobsmacked” by the sight of bulldozers tearing down the valued games area as a result of the decision.

Carly Dunningham, who has a 10-year-old daughter, responded to the outcome: “We are dumbfounded by this decision to demolish the MUGA.

“A facility for the community has gone, so I would like to ask them [the people who complained] how they feel?”

Another angry resident said: “I live near the park and it was lovely hearing children playing and kicking a ball about.

“I can’t understand the mentality of some people who expect complete silence while living next to a public park.

“What is just as galling is I know that one of them has moved away from the village and I understand is now living in a city which is hardly peaceful.”

Local resident Stuart Barber labelled the complaints ‘childish’Credit: SWNS
Locals said they were “dumbfounded” both by the complaints, and the court decisionCredit: SWNS

Locals have also been forced to pay the price of the battle, after the council put taxes up by 86 per cent to help cover the legal fees.

One mum, who did not wish to be named, raged: “I’m gobsmacked that a case like this even got to court and these moaning killjoys have won.

“Youngsters need facilities like these and to be encouraged into sports and the majority of residents welcomed it.

“Instead the minority have prevailed and we find it very sad.”

A statement from Chapel-en-le-Frith Parish Council, from September, read: “Following a recent court hearing, the Parish Council has made the difficult decision to remove the MUGA from the War Memorial Park.

“This decision has not been taken lightly, and we share in the disappointment felt by many in the community.

“However, we believe it is the most sensible course of action to abate the noise and resolve a 5 year legal process thereby avoiding further legal costs.

“While this change is regrettable, it also gives us the opportunity to review the War Memorial Park as a whole, as well as our neighbouring parks across the parish.

“We want to ensure our green spaces reflect the needs of the whole community, both now and for the future.

“We will be carrying out a community consultation in early 2026, where residents will be invited to share their views and have a voice in shaping what facilities they would like to see in our parks.

HORROR TOWN

Our once proud town is besieged by masked machete yobs – even cops are targets


CRUEL ORDEAL

I was blinded & my pals were killed by dangerous trend in Brit holiday hotspot

“In the meantime, we are also exploring alternative temporary spaces that can be made available for community use while longer-term plans are developed.

“Thank you for your understanding and support as we take these next steps together.”

Diggers have already begun tearing up the area of Memorial Park used for gamesCredit: SWNS

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.