Heartbroken family of 14-year-old boy struck by a train say they will ‘miss him forever’

The family of a 14-year-old boy who died after being struck by a train have paid an emotional tribute to him, saying they will ‘miss him forever’.

Joshua Travis, a former Nottingham Forest academy footballer, tragically died on Wednesday after being hit by a train on the railway line shortly after 7pm.

Emergency services rushed to the scene in Burton Joyce, Nottinghamshire, but the teenager was pronounced dead, British Transport Police confirmed. Officers said the incident is not being treated as suspicious.

Joshua, described as a talented young goalkeeper, was quickly named locally as tributes from football clubs, coaches and teammates began pouring in.

Floral tributes and messages were also left at the Chestnut Grove footpath level crossing, which has been cordoned off to the public. Groups of teenagers were seen attending the scene to pay tribute over the weekend.

In a heartbreaking tribute, his family said: ‘Josh was a lad with an incredible energy for life, an infectious and mischievous smile, kind sparkling eyes, and so much love to give.

‘He leaves a gap in our lives that is and will always be impossible to fill, and we will miss him forever.’

Aspire Football Coaching previously confirmed that it had decided to postpone all games this weekend to pay respects to Joshua and his family.

Joshua Travis died on Wednesday evening after being hit by a train on the railway line shortly after 7pm

Joshua Travis died on Wednesday evening after being hit by a train on the railway line shortly after 7pm

Joshua, described as a talented young goalkeeper and a former Nottingham Forest academy player, was quickly named locally as tributes from football clubs, coaches and teammates began pouring in

Joshua, described as a talented young goalkeeper and a former Nottingham Forest academy player, was quickly named locally as tributes from football clubs, coaches and teammates began pouring in

Tributes have been paid by scores of local football clubs, with the Burton Joyce Football Club (BJFC) releasing a statement saying: ‘The whole BJFC family is absolutely devastated by the tragic loss of Josh.

‘The Travis family have been a huge part of our club for so many years, and our hearts are with them during this unimaginable time.

‘We will be holding a minute’s silence at all games this weekend to remember Josh and to pay our deepest respects.’

Aspire Football Coaching previously said in a moving statement: ‘With the blessing of his parents, everybody at Aspire FC is devastated to post surrounding the passing of our U15 goalkeeper Josh Travis.

‘Josh was a fantastic goalkeeper and a great character in the group.

‘Everybody who came across Josh described him as a pleasure to have around with his polite and funny nature.

‘Josh made a real impact in his age group, both as a footballer but more importantly as a person and will be sorely missed at the club.’

In a tribute shared on social media, Nottingham Forest said: ‘Everyone at [the club] is deeply saddened to learn of the tragic passing of our former academy goalkeeper Josh Travis.

‘Our thoughts are with Josh’s family and friends at this extremely difficult time.’

A file is being prepared for the coroner, police said.  

On Friday, groups of young people gathered at Chestnut Grove to pay tribute to Joshua. The crossing has been closed to the public for an initial 21 days.

Network Rail said it requested the emergency closure following Joshua’s death.

The railway firm’s route director for the East Midlands Mark Budden told the BBC: ‘Our immediate thoughts are with the family and friends that have been affected by this tragic incident.

‘Safety is our top priority and we are fully supporting the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) as part of their ongoing inquiries.’

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.