Former marine who mowed down crowds at Liverpool victory parade ‘likely to be sent to secure hospital rather than jail’

A former royal marine who mowed down crowds of Liverpool supporters during the club’s victory parade is reportedly going to be sent to a secure hospital rather than jail.   

Paul Doyle, 54, was diagnosed with PTSD while on remand ahead of his trial. 

This week, he appeared at Liverpool Crown Court where he dramatically pleaded guilty to all 31 charges related to the incident on May 26. 

He pleaded guilty to 17 counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to 12 adults and five children injured during the parade day carnage.

They included six-month-old Teddy Eveson – whose parents later described him being thrown about 15 feet down the road in his pram when the crash happened – as well as four other children who cannot be identified.

In addition the victims in these counts comprised of 12 adults – Jack Trotter, Jon Evans, Scott Dolan, Ashton Gilmore, Jacqueline McClaren, Jamie Fagan, Carl Martin, James Vernon, Emily Wright, David Price, James Weston and Ethan Gillard.

Doyle also admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent to nine adults – Helen Gilmore, Anna Bilonozhenko, Sheree Aldridge, Sam Alexander, Hannah O’Neill, Christine Seeckts, Stefan Dettlaf, Aaron Cothliff and Susan Passey.

He had been told by Judge Andrew Menary that he faces an ‘inevitable custodial sentence of some length’ when he returns for sentencing next month.

Paul Doyle (pictured), 54, was diagnosed with PTSD while on remand ahead of his trial

Paul Doyle (pictured), 54, was diagnosed with PTSD while on remand ahead of his trial

Doyle sobbed in Liverpool Crown Court as he pleaded guilty to 17 counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to 12 adults and five children injured during the parade day carnage

Doyle sobbed in Liverpool Crown Court as he pleaded guilty to 17 counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to 12 adults and five children injured during the parade day carnage

However a source told The Sun that psychologists who examined Doyle at Wakefield Prison believe he is suffering from PTSD.

They said: ‘That means he’s pretty likely to be moved to a secure hospital unit once he’s sentenced.

‘His life there would be much more comfortable than in prison as he’d be treated as a patient, not an inmate. 

‘He’d be held in better conditions, plus he’d get more therapy and help getting his life back on track. A lot of prisoners try to play the mental health card, but with Doyle his PTSD was diagnosed pretty quickly and it seems genuine.’

Doyle previously denied all offences before he changed his pleas.

He was sober and not under the influence of drugs at the time, and tests of his Ford Galaxy found no defects which could have explained the carnage which unfolded, it is understood.

The Daily Mail has approached the Ministry of Justice for a comment. 

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.