Ex-England rugby star Mark Cueto has driving ban overturned after alleged mix-up

Mark Cueto of Sale during an Aviva Premiership match.
BATH, ENGLAND – MARCH 06: Mark Cueto of Sale during the Aviva Premiership match between Bath Rugby and Sale at the Recreation Ground on March 6, 2015 in Bath, England. (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)Credit: Getty Images – Getty

FORMER England rugby star Mark Cueto had his driving ban overturned after he said his wife had been the one speeding.

The 45-year-old received a six-month ban earlier this month after totting up points on his licence.

He was handed six points after a Mini, registered in his name, was caught travelling at 38mph in a 30mph zone in Stockport on October 6.

Cueto, 45, who played for Sale Sharks, was also convicted of failing to provide information about who was driving the car.

But at Bolton magistrates’ court yesterday, he said he was unaware of the ban as it was issued by a court in his absence.

Cueto said that sometimes mail was placed in a “outside mail box” at his home in Atrincham, Cheshire, and post, including bank letters, had been “stolen” in the past.

Sin Bin

Mike Tindall postpones rugby breakaway after ‘players threatened with 10-year ban’


SHAMED STAR’S REGRET

Hogg reveals ‘biggest mistake of my life’ that drove him to alcohol

But he claimed his wife had completed a form and declared she was driving the Mini at the time it was clocked speeding, and he’d paid a £1,000 fine.

“If records indicate I am the driver that’s an error,” he said.

“I am the registered keeper but she was driving.”

His convictions and ban were axed.

Cueto faces a trial at Wigan magistrates’ court next year for failing to provide details in a separate speeding case.

Mark Cueto of Sale running with the ball during an Aviva Premiership match.
Mark Cueto has had his driving ban overturned after he said his wife had been the one speedingCredit: Getty Images – Getty

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.