Survivors of the Liverpool parade say they have been left with ‘unanswered questions’ after ex-Royal Marine Paul Doyle admitted his guilt – as friends insist he is ‘sorry’ for the carnage he inflicted.
The 54-year-old father-of-three – who falsely told police he was fleeing a knifeman trying to stab him – is facing a lengthy prison sentence after dramatically changing his plea on Wednesday and admitting 31 counts.
But despite being spared going through a trial, lawyers for some of the people most badly hurt when the IT consultant ‘intentionally’ mowed down crowds of fans said the ‘severity’ of their injuries meant they were having to relive his rampage ‘every single day’.
Meanwhile a close friend of Doyle who has regularly visited him in prison has told the Daily Mail that the self-styled ‘ethical hacker’ is ‘sorry for what has happened’.
He said the university graduate had been ‘open’ about what he had done, but had originally pleaded not guilty based on legal advice.
Police have said it was ‘only by sheer luck that nobody was killed’ when Doyle lost his temper and went on the rampage in his Ford Galaxy on May 26.
Such was the terror that swept through the thousands-strong crowd celebrating Liverpool’s League title that many assumed they were the targets of a terror attack.
After leaving 134 people injured by mowing them down in his two-tonne people carrier, Doyle falsely told police he had panicked because one of the crowd had tried to stab him.
Pictured: Paul Doyle was seen driving the car during his terrifying rampage in Liverpool on May 26, 2025
Doyle was on Wednesday told he faces jail after driving his car into crowds at the Liverpool victory parade
Emergency services at the scene of the incident on Water Street. More than 130 people were injured, police later said
In reality, the attack was only ended when a supporter bravely got inside Doyle’s car – which had an automatic gearbox – by opening a back door.
Seconds later the hero reached over to put it into ‘park’, finally bringing the vehicle to a halt.
Doyle’s attack was in fact a grotesque and inexplicable piece of road rage, prosecutors would have argued had the trial gone ahead.
Instead on the second day of his trial at Liverpool Crown Court, Doyle admitted dangerous driving, affray, 17 charges of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent, nine counts of causing GBH with intent, and three counts of wounding with intent.
The offences relate to 29 victims aged between six months and 77.
Today Chantal Rabbetts, director of serious injury at Bond Turner, who represents some of Doyle’s victims, said: ‘The high-profile nature of this case and the severity of their injuries means that our clients are having to re-live the events of May 2025 every single day.
‘We are pleased that the guilty pleas mean they do not have to face weeks of intense public scrutiny that comes with a criminal trial, but they are left with more questions as to why the defendant chose to act in this way causing harm to so many.
‘Thankfully despite the ongoing criminal and civil proceedings we have been able to put rehabilitation support in place for our clients so we can continue to help them on their road to recovery.’
An artist’s sketch of Paul Doyle sobbing as he appeared in court at the start of his trial
Harrowing mobile phone footage showed fans bouncing off the bonnet of Doyle’s Ford Galaxy as he swerved through the crowds
Meanwhile a close friend of Doyle who has known him since 2007 said he had been ‘advised’ to change his plea.
‘At no point was he ever going to say that he hadn’t done it,’ the friend told the Mail.
He claimed Doyle had wanted to admit causing grievous bodily harm – but not the more serious offence of causing GBH with intent, with which he was charged.
‘He has done it but there is a big difference saying that he had done it with intent,’ said the friend, who has visited Doyle while he has been in prison on remand.
‘The word ‘intent’ implies that he went out deliberately to do this and that is why he was not going to plead guilty.
‘He is quite open about what he has done and is sorry for what has happened.
‘Under no circumstances was he going to say that he hasn’t done this.
‘But there is a massive difference between saying I did this and it happened because I panicked, to I set off from my house to intentionally do that.’
The friend continued to insist Doyle was ‘a good guy, a gent’ despite his guilty pleas and said he was ‘doing all right, considering’ behind bars.
Had the trial gone ahead, prosecutors would have argued that Doyle’s account that he ‘panicked’ was a lie, it is understood.
Jack Trotter (pictured) was struck by the driver on Water Street, shortly after 6pm. He had been out celebrating his team’s league title win during the club’s victory parade
They were expected to tell jurors that in reality he lost his temper and drove into the crowd in a rage.
Damning evidence of his guilt came in the form of his in-car dashcam.
It recorded both video and audio of his journey on the six-mile route to Liverpool city centre from his £300,000 four-bed detached home on a smart new build estate in the suburb of Croxteth.
Clips revealed how his driving had already become aggressive even before he encountered fans in the road.
Doyle undertook other cars and ran a red light as he drove the 25-minute journey from his home to Liverpool city centre.
Even when surrounded by crowds of families he repeatedly swore at people as they desperately leapt out of his way, with harrowing mobile phone footage showing fans bouncing off his car’s bonnet as it swerved at speed.
More detail of his offending will be spelt out when he returns to court to be sentenced next month.











