Met police arrest more protesters demonstrating against Palestine Action ban – as 254 already face criminal charges

Met Police have arrested further protesters in central London during demonstrations against the Government’s decision to ban activist group Palestine Action.

Crowds gathered in Tavistock Square on Saturday, with many sitting on the grass holding signs reading: ‘I oppose genocide. I support Palestine Action.’ 

Officers were seen carrying individuals out of the square, including one woman whose feet dragged across the ground as she was removed. 

Surrounding demonstrators clapped and thanked those being led away. 

The Met confirmed that arrests were under way, saying: ‘Officers have begun making arrests for expressing support for proscribed terror organisation Palestine Action at the protest organised by Defend Our Juries.’ 

Defend Our Juries has vowed nationwide civil disobedience following Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s announcement that police will be given stronger powers to curb protests by taking into account the ‘cumulative impact’ of repeated disruption. 

The demonstration follows a major operation earlier this week in which a further 120 people were charged for supporting the banned organisation, bringing the total number of suspects to 254.

Today’s demonstration is one of a series of actions taking place in 18 towns and cities between November 18 and 29.

Campaigners at the Defend Our Juries protest in support of Palestine Action at The Peace Garden, Tavistock Square, central London. Picture date: Saturday November 22, 2025

Campaigners at the Defend Our Juries protest in support of Palestine Action at The Peace Garden, Tavistock Square, central London. Picture date: Saturday November 22, 2025

Many protesters were carried out of the square, with one woman's feet dragging on the ground as two officers carried her away

Many protesters were carried out of the square, with one woman’s feet dragging on the ground as two officers carried her away

Police remove people from the Defend Our Juries protest in support of Palestine Action at The Peace Garden, Tavistock Square, central London

Police remove people from the Defend Our Juries protest in support of Palestine Action at The Peace Garden, Tavistock Square, central London

A protest is also taking place in Belfast today.

A crowd of around 60 to 80 activists and supporters gathered on a pedestrianised area close to the city’s main court buildings at 1pm, with between 15-20 of them holding placards carrying the statement ‘I oppose genocide, I support Palestine Action’.

Four Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) officers maintained a low-key presence as they observed the hour-long demonstration from a short distance away.

The officers did not intervene during the event and the crowd dispersed shortly after 2pm.

Another similar demonstration is planned in Londonderry later on Saturday.

Among those protesting in Tavistock Square was Carolyn Gelenter, 67, the daughter of a Holocaust survivor, who said she felt unable to be a bystander.

Ms Gelenter, who is from Australia but lives in London, said she has been arrested once before for supporting the banned group.

Speaking to the PA news agency, she said: ‘I wasn’t sure I wanted to get arrested again… As a Jew, and the daughter of a Holocaust survivor, I just feel I cannot stand by and watch this happening.’

She was later arrested and carried away by police.

The 120 people charged earlier this week were arrested after a demonstration on August 9 when activists swarmed Parliament Square carrying placards and flags.

Metropolitan Police officials said officers had to be drafted in from other forces to maintain a ‘significant policing presence’ across a busy weekend of protests and clashes in central London.

The Met confirmed that arrests were under way, saying: 'Officers have begun making arrests for expressing support for proscribed terror organisation Palestine Action at the protest organised by Defend Our Juries'

The Met confirmed that arrests were under way, saying: ‘Officers have begun making arrests for expressing support for proscribed terror organisation Palestine Action at the protest organised by Defend Our Juries’

Surrounding demonstrators clapped and thanked those being led away

Surrounding demonstrators clapped and thanked those being led away

The group behind the demonstration has vowed nationwide civil disobedience following Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood's announcement that police will be given stronger powers to curb protests by taking into account the 'cumulative impact' of repeated disruption

The group behind the demonstration has vowed nationwide civil disobedience following Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s announcement that police will be given stronger powers to curb protests by taking into account the ‘cumulative impact’ of repeated disruption

The protests come after Palestine Action was formally proscribed in July following alleged attacks on an Israel-linked defence company’s UK site and two aircraft at RAF Brize Norton. 

The ban makes membership of, or open support for, the group a criminal offence, carrying a maximum sentence of up to 14 years in prison.

Counter-terrorism detectives say those charged will begin appearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court between November 29 and December 9. 

Offences can lead to a prison term of up to six months and leave defendants with a terrorism conviction on their record.

In August, more than 500 people gathered in support of the outlawed group, holding placards with messages such as ‘I am on duty to stop genocide’ and ‘Our right to non-violent protest.’ 

Police arrested men and women of all ages, and witnesses reported scuffles breaking out between rival groups.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Ade Adelekan said at the time: ‘The Met is very experienced at dealing with large-scale protests, including where the activity crosses into criminality and requires arrests. 

The demonstration follows a major operation earlier this week in which a further 120 people were charged for supporting the banned organisation, bringing the total number of suspects to 254

The demonstration follows a major operation earlier this week in which a further 120 people were charged for supporting the banned organisation, bringing the total number of suspects to 254

Today's demonstration is one of a series of actions taking place in 18 towns and cities between November 18 and 29

Today’s demonstration is one of a series of actions taking place in 18 towns and cities between November 18 and 29

The protests come after Palestine Action was formally proscribed in July following alleged attacks on an Israel-linked defence company's UK site and two aircraft at RAF Brize Norton

The protests come after Palestine Action was formally proscribed in July following alleged attacks on an Israel-linked defence company’s UK site and two aircraft at RAF Brize Norton

‘While we won’t go into operational details, the public can be assured we have the resources and processes to respond to any eventuality.

‘Anyone showing support for Palestine Action can expect to be arrested. I would urge people to consider the seriousness of that outcome. 

‘An arrest under the Terrorism Act can have long-term implications – for travel, employment and finances – and as we have seen this week, it is very likely to lead to a charge.’

Among those demonstrating in Parliament Square was Martin Drummond, 76, a retired research scientist from Norwich. He said he was willing to risk arrest because he was ‘outraged’ by what he sees as an attack on free speech.

‘I’m here to protect our free speech – it’s absolutely crucial,’ he said. ‘Our forefathers fought for it and I’m bloody well going to defend it.’

However, he admitted he was ‘unenthusiastic’ about the prospect of spending the night in custody. 

‘I’d like to go home today,’ he said. ‘I’m not regarding it as a badge of honour. I’ve never supported anything like this before.’

Source link

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.