
A WREXHAM footie star allegedly smacked a Cardiff City fan in self defence during a carpark confrontation last week.
Winger James McLean, 36, is said to have punched the rival supporter before the Carabao Cup clash last Tuesday – which saw Cardiff snatch a 2-1 win.
McLean became embroiled in an exchange of words as he parked his car outside the stadium, reports Daily Mail Sport.
This is said to have escalated into a physical confrontation – with one source telling the paper that the former Republic of Ireland international acted in self defence.
It’s not clear how the away Cardiff fans would have gained entry to the parking compound for Wrexham players, which is sectioned off.
Another Cardiff source told the paper that the interaction was light-hearted when it began, but got more heated as insults were exchanged.
Wrexham AFC told The Sun: “Wrexham AFC are aware of an incident involving a first-team player and a visiting supporter ahead of our match against Cardiff City, which has been reported to the relevant authorities.
“We will be making no further comment on the matter at this stage.”
The Sun understands that Cardiff City FC has not received a formal complaint in relation to the allegations.
The club declined to give a statement.
North Wales Police are understood not to be investigating.
Throughout his career, McClean has received abuse over his decision not to wear a poppy on Remembrance Day.
He recently opened up about death threats he has received – with the trouble first starting 12 years ago.
Around this time last year, Wrexham increased security surrounding McClean to protect him from abuse.
was increased by his club around this time last year, because he faced a higher level of abuse from rival fans.
He received special permission from the EFL to leave the pitch via the shortest route to the tunnel.
The measures were revealed when the Daily Mail published details of a leaked letter sent to other clubs following talks between league officials, Wrexham and refereeing body PGMOL.
It’s not clear whether last week’s alleged incident – 14 days before Remembrance Day – was related to McClean’s stance on wearing poppies.
Reflecting on first refusing to wear the poppy while at Sunderland, the 36-year-old said: “During the week, we were obviously coming up to Remembrance Day.
“I was like: ‘I am not wearing a poppy, and here are my reasons why.’
“The manager was Martin O’Neill. Martin has a similar background. He is obviously a Derryman, so he understood.
“What killed me was Sunderland put out a statement before the game basically saying it is James’ choice.
“If they didn’t highlight it, it wouldn’t have been as big a deal.
“Them putting that statement out caused havoc. At that age, I was 23, and I thought the club was looking after me.
“You just assume the club is looking after one of their players, telling me not to say nothing and it will blow over.
“It didn’t. It went insane.”











