President Donald Trump revoked Secret Service protection for former Vice President Kamala Harris’ on Thursday as she prepares for a nationwide book tour.
Harris received six months of protection from the Secret Service after leaving office by federal law.
However, before leaving office then-President Joe Biden extended her protection by an additional year in an undisclosed directive not revealed until now, according to a CNN report.
Trump canceled the protection in a Thursday letter entitled ‘Memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security.’
‘You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,’ Trump’s letter reads.
The sudden removal of his 2024 rival’s protection comes as Harris prepares to launch a nationwide book tour for her upcoming memoir ‘107 days.’
The book reportedly focuses on her failed short-lived 107 day presidential campaign following Biden’s departure from the race.
‘The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,’ said Kirsten Allen, a Harris senior adviser, in a statement to CNN.
Harris will not only lose 24/7 in-person Secret Service protection from federal agents, but the former vice president will also no longer have threat detection intelligence.
Secret Service protection typically includes monitoring potential threats using in-person situations, emails, texts, and social media.
According to CNN, Harris aides are afraid they will lose access to potential threat warnings as they embark on this high-profile book tour.
Harris’ tours stops will mostly take place in deep-blue cities, and will start off on September 24th in New York City, the day after her book is released.
The former vice president’s home in the heart of Los Angeles will no longer be protected by federal agents.
California leaders, including Gov. Gavin Newsom and LA Mayor Karen Bass were briefed on the sudden loss of security for Harris on Thursday, per CNN.
Bass issued a statement slamming Trump’s latest decision as an ‘act of revenge’ against his former political rival.
‘This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more,’ said Bass.
‘This puts the former Vice President in danger and I look forward to working with the Governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles.’
This is breaking news story and will be updated.